NBA Combine Notes: #2 Pick On the Move?
The 2012 NBA Draft Combine got underway on Thursday, which means everyone in the basketball world made their way to Chicago to evaluate the top 61 players in this draft class. When the entire league is assembled in one place, plenty of rumors and storylines are bound to emerge.
Draft picks are being shopped and players are receiving promises from teams. Here are some interesting news and notes from day one of the combine.
• The Charlotte Bobcats are shopping the second overall pick in the 2012 NBA Draft, according to multiple sources. They have yet to contact Thomas Robinson, who many had penciled in as the number two pick after Anthony Davis. On Thursday afternoon, the Bobcats met with a number of players who are projected in the middle of the first round, such as Tyler Zeller, which indicates that they could be looking to move down. The Bobcats don’t seem to be in love with anyone at this point, which means a different team could be selecting second on draft night.
• While Thomas Robinson has yet to receive a call from the Bobcats, he has spoken to the Washington Wizards. Robinson also reiterated that he believes he’s worthy of the top overall pick. Anthony Davis showed up to media availability in a shirt with the words “Check My Stats.” Robinson, who was wearing a dress shirt and tie, was stunned when told about Davis’ attire. “If this is about stats, I’m the top pick,” Robinson said. “I’ve got to get one of those shirts.” Here is video of Robinson:
• Andre Drummond has met with the New Orleans Hornets, Charlotte Bobcats, Portland Trail Blazers and Philadelphia 76ers. He said each of the meetings went well and he’s enjoying the process. Drummond handled himself well during media availability. The knock on Drummond entering this process was his inconsistency and unimpressive motor. When asked about those concerns, Drummond said that he’s always smiling which makes it seem like he’s not serious or intense, but insisted that’s not the case.
• Moe Harkless helped himself on Thursday, shooting the ball extremely well during his workout. Since his college season ended, Harkless has been working on his shot with NBA trainer Dan Barto at the IMG Basketball Academy in Bradenton, FL. Harkless was one of the first players to begin training. At just 19 years old, Harkless is one of the youngest prospects in the class and plenty of executives are raving about his potential. “When people see me, they don’t see a finished product,” Harkless said. “They see someone that they can mold. I think that helps me a lot. The word potential gets thrown out a lot. It’s kind of like my middle name now.”
• Damian Lillard decided to participate in Thursday’s workout, even though he is projected as a top ten pick. Lillard felt like he had to prove that he’s not shying away from tough competition, especially after playing against lesser talent at Weber State. “I’m not running from anyone,” Lillard said. The Portland Trail Blazers have expressed a lot of interest in Lillard and he may be the sixth overall pick.
• Dion Waiters has pulled out of all workouts and interviews, which means he likely has a promise from a team in the top ten. Waiters’ stock has increased rapidly in recent weeks. League sources speculate that the Toronto Raptors have given him a promise at #8.
Continue to check HOOPSWORLD for the latest from the 2012 NBA Draft Combine.