N.C. State’ Purvis cleared to play
by By Nicole Auerbach, USA TODAY Sports
Rodney Purvis’ long period of eligibility limbo has ended, and fortunately for him and N.C. State, it ended with clearance.
The star freshman guard has been waiting to hear if he could play for the past six weeks, ever since he was told he could not accompany his team to Spain in early August. The issue with Purvis was academic; the NCAA has been investigating his high school — Raleigh’s Upper Room Christian Academy. Purvis was a part of the school’s first graduating class.
Purvis was first cleared to attend classes at N.C. State last month, but he was not cleared to play until Monday afternoon. He was granted permission to play by the NCAA Committee on Initial Eligibility Waivers, according to the school.
“I’m really happy for Rodney,” coach Mark Gottfried said in a statement. “It’s been a difficult situation and he’s handled the entire matter with class. Now he can move forward. I’d also like to thank the NCAA for its thoughtful consideration on this decision.”
Said Purvis: “I’m really excited about the decision that the NCAA came to today. I appreciate the hard work of everybody involved and I’m looking forward to focusing on school and basketball.”
Purvis, a 6-4 guard from Raleigh, is expected to contribute immediately for the Wolfpack, who return all of their key players from a team that reached the Sweet 16 last season. N.C. State is considered one of — if not the – favorite in the Atlantic Coast Conference this season, and this news only heightens expectations for the Wolfpack.
Contributing: Eric Prisbell