Nash considering other options besides Suns
All-Star point guard Steve Nash said it is very likely he will play with a different team than the Phoenix Suns next season.
“I couldn’t list a favorite,” Nash said in a story published Saturday by ESPN.com. “But I do know that for the first time I realize that it might not be Phoenix. I would have said even in the middle of (last) season or last year that I would have thought I probably would have stayed in Phoenix forever. But it’s come to a point now where I’m facing the reality that’s not (the case).”
Nash’s contract with the Suns has expired and the NBA free agency period begins at 12:01 a.m. Sunday.
The 16-year veteran said believes the Suns are ready to move in a different direction after missing the playoffs the past two seasons.
“I don’t necessarily feel like they’re determined to keep me,” he said. “I think there’s a lot of factors. So, one, I’m not sure they’re determined to keep me. Two, there’s other opportunities that are exciting. So I think I have to be open-minded … but at the same time be able to forecast where I’ll be most successful and happiest.”
Even at 36, Nash reportedly has interest from at least four teams. ESPN reported Toronto, Dallas, New York and Brooklyn are interested as Nash will receive offers Sunday in New York.
Toronto is expected to make the richest offer to the Canadian with about $12 million a year, according to ESPN. He made $11.689 million last season with the Suns. The Knicks are expected to make a healthy pitch as well.
Nash, who will receive offers beginning Sunday in New York, said he is expected to make a decision on his next contract quickly — and he hasn’t ruled out returning to the Suns.
“It’s just a different free agency for me and I have to be open-minded to everything,” he said. “I definitely could go back to Phoenix, but just that opportunity that I may be moving has definitely got me feeling the nerves, anxiety and excitement to see what happens.”
Wire News Powered By Sports Direct