Phoenix Suns’ Looking Towards The Future
Technically, the final six acquisitions the Suns made came between July 15 and Aug. 15.
Truly, the idea behind roster renovation had been in the works since December 2010 when the Suns opted to begin clearing their payroll books by trading Jason Richardson rather than signing him to an extension.
“As much as we hated to admit it because we loved what this team represented, it was like watching the sands fall through the hourglass,” Suns President of Basketball Operations Lon Babby said. “They were falling and the sand was getting smaller on the top. You could see time passing. Now we think we’ve turned the glass over. We don’t know what we have in the top but at least we have time and a bright new day.”
The general plan has shown to be getting younger and maintaining flexibility for this summer’s moves and the future. The final plan did not include Nash, whose parting had to do with the Suns feeling they could not bring him back and have enough salary-cap space to acquire what they needed.
“We want to compete for championships every year, but you have to recognize there’s a process,” Babby said.