Royce White goes off on Rockets
by Adi Joseph, USA TODAY Sports
Royce White is an open book. He has an anxiety disorder. He doesn’t like flying. He is excited to be a rookie in the NBA. And now he is not happy with his team, the Houston Rockets.
The 16th overall draft pick worked out a deal with the Rockets before reporting to camp that would allow him to travel by bus to some road games and fly to others. He flew once, to Detroit, then drove to Memphis and Atlanta for other road games. He has not played yet this season.
But he was absent Monday for a home game against the Miami Heat and Tuesday for a practice.
White released a statement Tuesday night: “In hindsight, perhaps it was not a good idea to be open and honest about my anxiety disorder — due to the current situations at hand that involve the nature of actions from the Houston Rockets. As a rookie, I want to settle into a team and make progress; but since preseason, the Rockets have been inconsistent with their agreement to proactively create a healthy and successful relationship.”
So he’s unhappy. That much is clear. And it’s even more obvious from his Twitter feed. Here are some highlights from a rant that started at 9:38 p.m. ET:
- I’m most defiantly not AWOL… There are many things here ppl don’t know, #Honesty is what I’m sticking with. @HoustonRockets “Luke 12:3″
- Problem goes back WAY before D-League assignment. This about #Consideration and #Health it isn’t about Rebounds & Money.
- My “anxiety” hasn’t caused inconsistency in my participation with the team from training camp until 72hrs ago, (flying) to DET, (flying) Isn’t the issue.
- I’d waste my “Talent”, to stand up for myself and what’s right, regarding my health 10x’s out 10. #Logical Player “Commodity” league.
- “your a COMMODITY” and “we’ll support your health needs even if its inconvenient…” just don’t go. My health can’t afford such an ideal.
- While #anxiety is the issue, the main piece of that isn’t AIRPLANES, it’s asking for support 4 my disorder thats consistent and fair.
- Again My “Anxiety” is not well but not BAD, my main WORRY is being treated as … [For more on Royce White goes off on Rockets for not helping with anxiety disorder, click here.]